Monday, 23 May 2011


In order to give the website some life instead of it being so static, I will be uploading a series of video biographies with everyone! How exciting. So far I have conducted interviews with Taz, Jonathan, and Chris, so I will still need to conduct interviews with Kiran, Joe, Alex, Daniel, Dave and our calligraffist who is as of yet to be discovered!! Blimey. If anyone is available this week, Holla.

Also this week I will be meeting with Joe to whack out some sketches of what the hanging system may look like. This will then be uploaded here so we can have a peek.



Everyone, I have a dilemma. For the second time I have found out that our venue will have to change. On account of the fact that festival season is impending, I cannot change the dates or else I will lose our two very helpful very sick VJ's. I am working hard to combat this but unfortunately for the time being the venue will have to be "TBC" nearer the time if anyone asks.

Also, funding is looking tight. Once again I ask you to think about anyone that I could approach as a sponsor otherwise I'm gonna be doing a hell of a lot of cakesales!!! HAAAA! Oh well...

Peace and Cakes.

Tuesday, 10 May 2011


So I have recently discovered that on the dates I want, The Sassoon Gallery may not be available. If it comes to it, would everyone still be available in the first week of August? (1st -7th) If not then we may have to sacrifice the venue and find an alternative. Consequently, if anyone knows of anything not too outrageously expensive, HOLLA.


Thursday, 5 May 2011



This morning I found out that our link at the New Gallery will be leaving in June and the future of the Surplus Purpose event looked uncertain. In light of this information I contacted New Gallery's owner, Ben Sassoon and had a discussion about the prospect of still using the space. In fact, we came to a new conclusion, that one of his other sites would be more suitable for the events! We are now re-locating to the Sassoon Gallery in Peckham Rye. This will work much better as there are no restrictions re sound and noise levels which means we will have a far less constricted environment and atmosphere to work in. Stellar. Check it out here SASSOON GALLERY.

Add Image

Monday, 2 May 2011


Today has been a highly productive day in terms of moving plans forward and solidifying workshops. I met with Jonathan and Taz, two highly talented musicians, dj's, vj's, designers, artists, basically there is not much they can't do, at Taz's office. (It's fucking cool, pictures to follow...)

To clarify what we have discussed:

The workshop will be quite an intense hands on experience. To begin with a demo of the basic principles of VJing techniques and tools will be given by Jonathan and Taz. Depending on how the brief develops they may also give a short tutorial on the basics of scratching. This will help the participants to fine-tune their mixes and get a little more creative. This will also help the participants to build an idea of what they can accomplish in the long-run but also give a realistic breakdown of what they can hope to achieve from the days activity.
Each participant will require the use of a Laptop so as to individually create a data-base of images and to use a temporary version of the Mixing software in order to create their own mixes. Throughout the session the participants will be able to record their mixes which Taz in turn will be able to edit into a show reel for the exhibition. Depending on the ability of the participants at the end of the session, Taz and Jonathan may select the best Vj-ers of the day to VJ live at the private view! Sick shit.

In addition to this Jonathan has suggested the use of a 3D mapping projector to display the visualistations in more of a unique way. This means that the display will be visually arresting and diverse for the audience.

The suggested number of participants for the workshop is 10 people.

Technical equipment for the workshop will include:
10 X Fast laptops (Either the participants can bring their own or loan one for a small fee.)
USB Keys for the transferral of data.
2 X Projectors for educational purposes.
Screens to accompany projectors.
3D mapping prjector for the week.
Extension Cable.

Looks to be an very good workshop. Get involved.
Add Image


So basically it would be really helpful if anyone were able to help us out with the project in terms of a monetary contribution, because as we all know money = more stuff, and more stuff = a better week for us all! So this is the proposal that I have been sending out so far. If you would like me to forward you a copy so you can distribute it to anyone that may be able to help us out please let me know. Sef.

Add Image

Wednesday, 27 April 2011


First let me thank everyone that came to the meeting today, I know some of you travelled far to be here!
A reminder of what we covered today:

Anju, Kiran, Alex.

We discussed the designers bringing in some of their own collections to contribute to the gallery and also act as an example of what the participants may strive to create.

Preliminary ideas for the fashion workshops include:
Fashion illustration, - creating a template for the participants and giving a theme to design an ensemble around.
Batik, tie-dye, exploding dye, customising and regenerating garments.
Embellishing garments, Pattern cutting.

Final outcomes to contribute to the gallery may include customised garments, pattern sheets, and sketches.

Equipment that we may need includes: Batik kits, -wax, melting pots, safety gloves, fabric, pattern paper, scissors, dyes, vats/tubs, a washing station, drying station, pins, mannequins, and possibly other stuff.

Chris Elliott & Co.

The workshop will comprise of customising items such as skateboard decks, bags and other similar objects. The day will potentially be split into 3 separate sessions, broken down into sketches and ideas, deck preparation, and painting.
Chris will have backup from others throughout the course of the day.

Equipment that we may need includes: Poscas, inks, pens, spray-paint, acrylic and enamel paint, pencils, paper, transfer paper, electric belt sander, varnishes/laquers/finishers, bolts, screws, work tables, and other materials to design with.

Additional notes..
Matt has a link for printing in Liverpool that is mega cheap (£1 - Colour A0!!!)
Jonathan of the V-Jaying session will me meeting me on monday and giving me the low down.
Everyone needs to have their Bio's for me by Weds 4th May, -for those of you not present I will discuss this with you in the week.
And also everyone needs to start thinking about a what the brief for each of their workshops will be so that we can clearly define to the participants what they can expect from each of the workshops.

Yagga Yo.